Invitation Martial Arts Sparring open to ALL martial artists
An invitation open to experienced martial artists. This will allow experienced martial artists to test their martial arts skills against various martial artists, not just martial art trainees at one establishment.
The is not competition. The goal of the sparring sessions are to test one's martial arts skills in a non-competitive environment or belt testing or grading environment. This is an environment for improving sparring (in the empty hand to hand combat arts) and a great to get exposure to various martial arts styles. Every participant can learn from each other. The bonus is you will get the opportunity to meet with other martial artists in the community,
- every 2nd and 4th Friday of the month from 6 pm to 7 pm (potentially extended to 8pm)
- Requirements (one of the following):
- - skill level similar to about 3 years training
- - minimum of brown belt levels in the karate system
- - have been sparring for about one year
Criteria of sparring sessions
- These sessions are:
- - to allow you to practice your timing,
- - to practice so that you can confidently execute the techniques that you want to apply,
- - to allow you to get a good handle on distancing from opponent,
- - to teach you how to deal with various oncoming offense situations,
- - to allow you to analyse situations,
- - to be creative and use various repertoire of techniques that you have acquired,
- - takedowns should be clean and smooth (i.e. should be effective manipulation of self and opponent's balance),
- - to learn from each other
- These sessions are not:
- - for teaching you how to punch or kick,
- - for showing you how to shuffle or footwork for sparring,
- - competition of physical strength especially during takedowns or throws,
- - competition of who has harder limbs, or head,
- - points sparring or contact sparring competition,
- - contest of whose shoulders are broader (metaphorically)
Ideally, each participant should be able to learn and take home the knowledge from the sessions.
We will be holding mostly stand up striking sparring sessions. However, the encounters can potentially be taken to the ground. Submission may or may not happen depending on situation of the sparring sessions.
We encourage all participants to be creative with their movements and techniques.
Rules of the seminar
- - safety is priority number one,
- - heavy touch contact allowed (about the intensity of hand squeeze strength),
- - physical, strategic, mental pressure tactics allowed),
- - multiple short exchange bouts only,
- - bout will be stopped when one of the sparring pairs is injured. The pair will be asked to stop and sit out possibly for the rest of the session,
- - reasonable contact that injures participant, especially to head, groin, neck, joints ie shoulders, elbows, knees, fingers are prohibited
- - we reserve the right to stop you from sparring if contact is not controlled.
Please book appointments prior to first visit. We will not entertain walk-ins.
$25 per session (HST included)